19.12.06

Back in Portsmouth

ill start of with this very insightful cartoon.

All assignments are finished and handed in... just. I finished my 3D Modelling for Film assignment at 3 on Friday. As it had to be in by half past I quickly filled in the hand in sheet and dashed up to Derwent's to get a lift up to the uni, getting to his house at about 10 past. I went in to find Dave desperately trying to burn his assignment to CD, Derwent still writing in his log book and Luke still RENDERING.

Derwent and Dave were eventually ready to go and by 20 past we decided we couldn’t wait for Luke any more, so we dashed out to the car, Luke trailing behind with his laptop, yelling at it to render faster. We got to the uni and Luke’s laptop was still saying it had 10 minutes of rendering left, so me and Dave jumped out the car, taking Derwent's assignment with us and literally ran to the Octagon while Derwent parked and Luke swore at his computer some more.

Me and Dave got to the Octagon (you'll never guess what shape that building is) and pelted upstairs to the hand in place. The fist thing I saw was a massive crowd of people; the second was one of the office women stood in the crowd, who said, "you’re late..."
That induced a very sharp intake of breath, a look of horror and me wondering the best way to kill Luke and where to dispose of the body.
Fortunately the office woman continued "...so you'd better be quick". She gestured towards the row of tables surrounded by hastily scribbling students, and it took me a moment to realise we'd already filled in our hand in forms.
As I turned to the crowd by the hand in desk the woman said "ah...you'll be alright".

Despite this I still used the trick id perfected on my many visits to Loughborough where there’s always a big crowd of people trying to get on a very small train at Nuneaton.
Instead of joining the back of the crowd, you join at the side, as close to the front as possible. Then, as the crowd slowly thins as people get on the train/hand in their assignments, you slowly insinuate yourself further into the crowd and you can then get in before the people stuck in the middle who were in the crowd before you, and no one seems to notice.

As a result I only had to wait for two or three people to hand in their assignments before me and Dave were served instead of about 20. After that the relief was immense and I enjoyed a very pleasurable adrenaline rush for the next 15 minutes or so. Luke and Derwent showed up just after Dave had handed in his assignment. I'd already handed in Derwent's with mine, and Luke had attempted to burn his to CD while running with laptop. Obviously it failed, and he didn’t have enough time, or CDs, for a second attempt so he’s handed in half his project on CD (if that even works) and his logbook. Good luck to him.

Went into town with Derwent and Luke to celebrate. Ended up trying the new Chinese take away in town. It was very good, and they deliver too, so I may have to change that one to my regular instead of the one on Western Road.
In the evening I went back home and gave my housemates their Christmas presents. A film rental voucher for Phil and Luke (different Luke to the one earlier) and Rachel got a Lego boat and aeroplane.

Spent Saturday washing clothes, doing my washing up, generally tidying up and thinking about packing. In the afternoon I went back to Derwent and Dave’s to pick up copies of our films for this semester and play Dave at New Super Mario Bros. He thrashed me at the Mario Vs Luigi battles, but I got my revenge on the minigames.

Parents arrived about 1 the next day to take me home. Mum insisted on vacuuming my room (first time its been done since I moved in) and ended up doing the hall too. No idea how long the journey home took, although I don’t think I fell asleep at all. 5 minutes after I sent Andrea a text to tell her how bored I was we were back in Portsmouth.

Pretty much settled in now. Going back to work in the grease mines (aka McDonalds) on Friday. Apparently we've been sold to a franchise. Hopefully ill get my soul back, as I technically wont be working for McDonalds any more, although it’s not officially going through until the end of January.

Hopefully seeing Andrea tomorrow and Muscat's arranging a get together at the Manor on Thursday night so should be a good week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Baby!!!!

Hope you got lots of fabby presents. I got He-Man dvd!!!

Yay!!!

Big New Year Hugs too.

P. xxx

Anonymous said...

Check my blog, minger! And text me back :(

depps X

Anonymous said...

Rendering on a laptop? Desperate times, eh?

Also: the cartoon link is dead. Have a nice day. ;-)